How to win the Australian Malt Whisky Tasting Championship on 28th July 2018
The Champs are fast approaching and I’ve already had a few friends and colleagues ask me “so what’s in the lineup huh?” and “have you got any tips on how to improve my chances of winning?”. All these kinds of questions I’ve been strictly tight-lipped on answering, until now…
The Champs for 2018 is on Saturday 28th July 2018, and we recently announced that first prize is an incredible trip for two to Edinburgh, Scotland…
So what are my Top 5 tips on how to win the Champs?
1. Have fun and don’t second guess yourself: I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been handed a whisky and asked to guess what’s in the glass. I’ve initially thought “Yep this is definitely a Glenfiddich 12” then I change my guess to something like Glen Moray 12, only to find out my first guess was correct. Take a stab, have some fun with it, and enjoy the dram!
2. Avoid chilli and garlic for at least a day before: strong flavours can overwhelm the palate and confuse both you and those around you. Give yourself the best chance from the starting line you can and keep your tongue nice and neutral in the lead-up.
3. Study the pre-list of whiskies: You read that right. For 2018 we’re bringing the pre-list of possible contenders back into the rules. What that means is that precisely 72 hours before the Champs start, we’ll be distributing a list of 50 x whiskies, of which 8 x of these will be in front of you on the night. That’s a solid head-start!
4. You don’t need to be a “whisky nerd” or “dram expert” to compete: In previous years we’ve had winners who had been interested in whisky for less than a month and the winning score was just 3 out of 8 correct. 3 out of 8! It’s a fun night where even if you don’t win, you’ll have a great time and everything is included in the ticket price. It’s also a mix of luck and skill, and we encourage you to read through the Champs Rules here to make sure you know what to expect!
5. Come with some friends: while the Championship is a solo competition, having friends to also challenge and have a huge fun night out in Sydney with makes the whole experience something else entirely. Not to mention the after-party with live music, SMWS bar, The Balvenie Bar, and more, all included in your ticket.
Saturday 28th July 2018, Australia Museum, No.1 William St, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
A special thanks to William Grant & Sons, The Oak Barrel, The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, and the Australia Museum.