Rewind 330 odd years. The year is 1682. The location? The Vaults in Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland.
It’s an important turning point for The Vaults, a point in history in fact, when The Vaults were established as a prominent wine cellar. It’s a site that exists even as far back as the 13th century! Fast forward to 1983 and a man named Pip Hills started The Scotch Malt Whisky Society in these very vaults. Then look to 2002 when John Rourke and Andre Tammes started the Australian chapter of the SMWS out of their love of single cask whisky. Come 2019, we’re now taking a moment to celebrate that history with one of the most special experiences we’ve ever hosted.
Take a trip back in time with the Society in what is our oldest and rarest whisky experience in Australia ever. Our National Ambassador has raided some of the rarest ‘paper label’ casks from the Society’s history, deep within the dusty cabinets of our founding director’s stash, and we relish the opportunity to create this one-off evening in Sydney.
On the night:
- We’ll have our own private dining room at the award-winning Bentley Restaurant in Sydney
- We’ll be tasting, enjoying and vigorously discussing 10 x drams from the Society’s ‘paper label’ vintage era
- We’ll enjoy a full 4-course dinner in between sets of drams at the remarkable Bentley Restaurant
- Everyone attending will leave with their own commemorative historical menu from the night
- There will be a full presentation from the SMWS team
Tickets go on sale Friday 10th May midday AEST from this page for members and their partner/guests only. First in best dressed.
Non-member tickets will be made available from Friday June 14th, if not sold out prior.